March 24, 2021

Farewell James and best wishes

Dr James Brann has been the Director, Student Communications, Division of Student Services at CSU for some time and this is his last week. I have enjoyed working with James over many years. He wrote a fantastic farewell email today - here are some excerpts - 

I’m a Charles Sturt alumni and I started my undergrad with the University in 2002. I remember walking down the huge steps of our big lecture hall in Bathurst to hear Frank Marino wow a captive audience on the small protrusions of Seasmoid bones (did I get that right Frank?), begging Denise Wood for an extension on an assignment that I had clearly forgot about, discussing how the industry is still a very elite experience and importance of equity with Alan Bain and struggling to pronounce “Piaget” (Pia-get??) during an excellent tutorial by Sharynne McLeod. At that time, I barely knew what university was about and can vividly remember relaying these new experiences to my grandfather in Gilgandra who was a retired sleeper-cutter who thought I was wasting my time and “probably should be getting a trade”. 

I know my grandfather would be proud, because I did end up getting a trade and I’m incredibly privileged to tell people that I work in education. I’ll tell anyone that listens, that education is a silver bullet and that I’ve been proud to be part of an institution that is truly student-centred with a real focus on expanding access to a high-quality education... 

I’ve seen all your work up close, and while it might not feel like it every day, for a kid like me who was the first in their family to attend university, you do make a difference. I’ll spend several years thanking everyone, but as a non-exhaustive list before I go, I would like to thank: ...Professor Sharynne McLeod who swooped in out of nowhere and was instrumental in the completion of my PhD. You’re a credit to our institution...

Thanks James. Your thoughtfulness, energy and passion for people and the public good will be missed.