April 16, 2021

Leading speech pathology researcher hopes to help change the world

Congratulations Dr Kate Crowe on winning the inaugural Charles Sturt University Alumnus of the Year – Professional Achievement (Research) award. You are an inspiration and your upcoming Charles Sturt Alumni Podcast on 22 April here: https://soundcloud.com/user-83287832-705182774. 

CSU News story here:  Leading speech pathology researcher hopes to help change the world

https://news.csu.edu.au/feature/leading-speech-pathology-researcher-hopes-to-help-change-the-world

I am honoured to read Kate's account of her academic journey in the news article:

It was her decision to study a PhD in speech pathology at Charles Sturt University, after completing several qualifications with the University of Newcastle in NSW, that led her to embark on a global career. “I did not choose Charles Sturt University, it chose me,” Dr Crowe said. “I was hoping to embark on a PhD at some time in the future when I was awed by Professor Sharynne McLeod (pictured left) giving a presentation at a conference. “I approached Professor McLeod after her presentation and asked a question and I honestly cannot remember what happened next. “She whisked me away, bought me hot chocolate, and suddenly I was on track to becoming her newest PhD student … and I have to say that my entire life changed for the better in that moment. “Professor McLeod said to me on my first day that throughout my PhD journey she was training me to be her colleague and peer, so she would treat me as such, and that is how it has been for the past 13 years. “Rarely does a day go by when I do not feel gratitude for her support, guidance, and encouragement, and the places that this has taken me.” It was through her PhD study and work with Professor McLeod that Dr Crowe started to focus on research and projects that would support multilingual children with hearing loss. Today, she is a world leader in this field and works with speech pathologists and teachers around the world to support their use of culturally responsive practices for the assessment and support of children with hearing loss.