November 1, 2022

Health

Our health is important. All aspects of our lives (including our work) are impacted when we are unwell or family members are unwell. These impacts can be short-term -- but also can be long term, especially for researchers like me. There are many years between planning research, writing grant or book proposals, receiving funding, undertaking research and writing it up. Research that involves multiple collaborators can also be impacted by ill health and other circumstances (including happy circumstances such as maternity leave). 

The past few years with the COVID-19 pandemic have impacted the world and have slowed down the research cycle. Additionally, I have been impacted by cancer since 2018. Many times, the impact has limited my capacity to think, plan and work. At other times, I have been well and have really enjoyed my work as a distraction from my treatments. During 2022 I have had a number of unanticipated treatments that have significantly reduced my capacity to work - and also my reliability to meet deadlines - and particularly to answer emails. I have appreciated the patience and encouragement from my colleagues.

This week I have had really great news about my health. I am hoping that 2023 will see a healthier year.