May 8, 2013

Time out with my family

Over the past few weeks I have taken long-service leave to spend time with my family. Most of the time time I did not have internet access, and I decided not to take my computer (!) It was great to take time out from work, and I am very thankful to my students and colleagues for enabling me to take a break.

My daughter has been learning Japanese at school, so I went on a high school trip to Japan for 13 days. We had a fantastic time visiting schools and significant sites across Japan, practicing Japanese, and most importantly learning about Japan and Japanese culture from local students, teachers, and many others. The photo below is of our welcome from the Ōkuma community who have been relocated to Aizu since the earthquakes, tsumani and nuclear disaster in 2011. You can read about our links with the Ōkuma community on previous blog postings here, here, and here.
 After my trip to Japan we drove across Australia to hear my son performing at a national jazz festival that also featured Gordon Goodwin and the Big Phat Band from LA. Many  posts on my blog show that I am proud of my students, but I thought this blog may show readers I am very proud of my family as well.