August 2, 2021

Emails from SLPs across the world - this is why we do our research

Here is a series of emails I received over the past few days from Jeanene M. Johnson, M.A. CCC-SLP, a speech-language pathologist (SLP) in Texas (she gave consent for me to share her name). I regularly receive emails like this (but am usually able to be more helpful). I love that we can hear from people who are using our work 

Email 1: 

I am a huge fan of your work!  Can you please tell me if you have updated pictures in the Single Word Test of Consonant Clusters or if you have published a test that uses this test?  I have been using your test and would like an updated version if it is possible.  Your work is amazing! 

 SM response: 

Thank you so much for your lovely email! Unfortunately I haven’t updated my Single Word Test of Consonant Clusters pictures and I haven’t published a test that uses it. I’m glad to hear that it is useful. I often use Pixabay to select new pictures for the work I am doing, but at the moment don’t have time to select updated pictures.

Email 2: 

Thank you Sharyne!  Your work is legendary and it should be! Keep publishing !  You are a true scientist in our field!; Don’t retiree….; You inspire us! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  I am just an average private practitioner. 

SM response: 

Thanks so much for your lovely email that has brightened the start to my week!You are exactly the person we do our work for – someone who translates our research into changing children’s lives. Thank you for your important work!